Wednesday, June 23, 2010

News, Notes, and Observations

written 6/22/10

It is currently 8pm on a Tuesday, and for no apparent reason, already I am too exhausted to contemplate staying up even another hour- or to write a real blog entry. Hence this jumble of rambling thoughts, which is about all my mind can keep up with tonight. Have fun!

I started work at the clinic for real yesterday, and have spent most of my time there recording data from the H1N1 vaccine campaign that just started here. Right now we are in phase 1 of the campaign, and only pregnant women and people with chronic illnesses are eligible to receive the vaccine. Basically, the patient comes in, the nurse looks through the chart to determine eligibility and hands me the chart, and I record which category the patient falls under on a data sheet and then place a sticker on their chart with the date. It's not thrilling work, but it's actually a great way to meet the people my clinic serves.

It is surprisingly embarrassing to be introduced in glowing manner and to have all your qualifications and interests listed in front of many people while you are standing right there. I don't know how important people can bear to hear it all the time. Even more embarrassing, however, is having your coworker throw in that you are may be looking for a husband in Botswana (an untrue and unhelpful statement, in case you are wondering).

I hate it when the word processor decides that I want to insert bullets without asking my permission.

I need to get some American candles. I bought one in a supermarket here, and it is burning with a 5 inch flame and emitting black smoke. Interesting to watch, but ultimately probably not the safest way to light a room.

I still don't have lights in my bedroom or the bathroom, but have learned not to care. It'll get done eventually, and in the meantime, I only use my bedroom for sleeping, right?

I am finally sleeping in my bedroom, on an actual bed, with a boxspring, sheets, a comforter, and two pillows. This is an amazing development. I wasn't going to settle for anything less than my vision of comfort, so it took several trips to the china shops before I found the perfect comforter. It is white and fluffy and soft and incredibly warm. It was also not cheap (comparatively- P300), but it is definitely worth it- and it even came with a duster to cover up the boxspring! I set up the bed with all the dressings on Sunday afternoon almost immediately after purchasing them, and spent the rest of the day resisting the urge to climb into bed before sunset. Really, with all it's whiteness and fluffiness and the candlelit atmosphere and fake wood furniture that looks pretty fancy in the dark, I almost felt overly casual and inappropriately dressed in my long sleeve t-shirt and shamrock pj pants. I know I'm writing a lot about the simple topic of a bed, but it's hard to overestimate how important it is to have somewhere to retreat to and feel comfortable in.
Another amazing thing about my bedroom is that it now has curtains. Curtains are of the utmost importance here, for security, privacy, and preventing drafts, so to be without them for even a few days was awful. I eventually got tired of not having them, cut a spare white sheet in two, and used my little sewing kit to turn them into curtains. Perhaps not the most amazing thing to have done, but I was pretty impressed with my handiwork.

I was never a morning person to begin with, but now that it is winter in Africa and I have a warm, comfortable bed, mornings have never been more difficult.

The song 'Sex in the Morning' is blasting outside my window.

The enormous grasshopper-like creature is still sitting on my bathroom door handle. He hasn't moved at all, but he's still very much alive, and very much intent on staying where he is. I've named him Horace, and we are becoming fast friends.

The dry season is definitely here. My contacts get so dry that it's almost impossible to unfold them when I take them out, and my skin is raw and cracked. Thank goodness I brought Burt's Bees lotion!

I am now impressed by small, everyday events. Ice cubes in my drink? Amazing! Water pressure in the kitchen faucet? Fantastic! Running water for more than 24 hours? A miracle!!

I think I get the most homesick when I think about church or youth group events I'm missing, because they're usually a combination of family, friends, faith, and tradition. Last weekend, I missed the retirement celebration of our youth group director, a very special lady who has meant a lot to many of us and who has made a difference in many young people's lives. AYM won't be the same without her and she'll be greatly missed, but I wish her every happiness in retired life, and look forward to visiting when I get back. She won't get rid of us that easily!

Evening is usually my favorite time of day, but it's my least favorite here. During the day, I am charged up and full of ideas for my service, and don't have much time to dwell on things. Weekends are a bit of an exception to that, but even then I can usually keep myself busy working on the house and doing laundry and shopping. Once the sun sets, my period of limbo before bedtime begins. I refuse to answer the door after dark, and every noise startles me. I attempt to read or watch movies, but more often than not, I end up playing spider solitaire or writing a blog entry while listening to music, just to keep my ears, hands, and mind occupied. I'm hoping that this unease will change once I get settled and start bringing home real work to do.

A new strategy for getting through life here and reminding myself that I am getting used to life in Botswana has been to plan packing lists, travel tips, and even itineraries for imaginary visitors. It helps me see what I've learned about living here, and it occupies my time and satisfies my urge to plan and make lists. If any of you do decide to visit me here (and I hope you do!), I'll be well prepared.

It has now been over an hour, and I am ready for sleep in my wonderful, wonderful bed. Good night.

1 comment:

  1. Word. I'm *really* hoping that after IST (at the latest), I will actually have a better idea of how to be productive with my time...right now, it feels like it's just busywork, and I feel overwhelmed with ideas which seem way out of reach...eish!!! Mathata!

    ReplyDelete