Thursday, June 10, 2010

A new care package list

Now that I've been here for two months and am about to move to site, I thought it was about time for an updated list of suggestions for possible care packages. Again, please don't feel like I'm expecting anything, I'm just posting this because people have asked what I could use. Letters and emails are also more than accepted!

-Taco shells/seasoning
-Corn chips
-Tortillas (can you tell that Mexican food is non-existent here?)
-Parmesan cheese (of course)
-Reese's peanut butter cups (yes, they'll melt a little, but it's fine, I swear)
-Gummi worms or Swedish fish
-Cool ranch Doritos (they have Doritos, but with weird flavors. Sweet chili, anyone?)
-Pretzels (they don't exist here)
-Brownie mix (I know it sounds like my diet here will be completely full of junk food, but you can't really send romaine lettuce or hummus through the mail, and I can actually get a lot of healthy food here if I look hard enough)
-Lipton iced tea mix
-Dove soap
-Opti-free contact solution
-Hand sanitizer
-Crest Pro-health toothpaste
-Mix cd's (music is a coping mechanism)
-Warm clothes (it's freezing here! I spent my Memorial Day in a fleece, a long skirt, leggings, and socks- fashionable, I know)
-Books (classics are awesome, but anything interesting is fine. Lot's of evening downtime for reading)
-Magazines (Newsweek, Time, Scientific American, heck, even People- any connection to the outside world would be appreciated!)
-Stationary (because I swear I'll start writing to people at some point)
-AA and AAA batteries
-DVD's (action, sci-fi, romance, comedy- nothing too heavy yet, real life is heavy enough right now)
-Photos (gotta decorate those walls, and have some way to remember you all for 2 years!)
-Photo frames (lightweight, nothing fancy)
-Lyrics and guitar chords (got the guitar, but my repertoire is abysmal. I'm working on it)
-Fun things and surprises (especially things for the house, since I'll be spending the next month or so setting it up)

That's about all that I can think of for now. Although if someone can figure out how to get me a New York bagel with cream cheese or a slice of pizza, I'd take that, too. :-)

Just a quick tip - stuffing everything into a large padded envelope is supposed to be much cheaper than sending a box, so if you think you can make it fit, go for it.
Oh, and be careful about what you write on the customs sticker- I have to pay customs on every package I get!

No comments:

Post a Comment